Wednesday, October 1, 2008

working self portrait


this was an idea i was going with for my self portrait, i tried to incorporate my face, but just wasn't feeling it. i was going for a theme that represented aging, these are photos of my mother when she was pregnant with me....her 7th and final child. as i continue to get older seeing that i am getting chin hairs and used my actual hair and cut and pasted it to my chin. i tried some coloring of the eyes for a bluer effect, the 70's stereo system i thought could make a cool repetitive element, but just wasn't feeling it, so i finally ended with the photo below. ENJOY!

2 comments:

Marshall said...

Amy... I feel like there's a pretty good depiction of tiredness/exhaustion going on here. If you had a photo of yourself looking so tired, then it might help that image's repetition... that effect. The colors on the couch cover and on your mom have sort a sleepy drabness to them, which I feel sort of goes with that naptime feel. I would say either repeat the chinhair element or get rid of it altogether, because I didn't really know what was up with it until you explained it. I definitely haven't noticed any chinhairs on your face.
I think that the rectangular edges of the photos sort of bring into play a need for alignment- either get rid of the boxiness of them, or align the photos so that they are arranged in sort of a comic-book fashion- aligned well for continuity. But I think that you could just have a repeated couch-cover sort of photoshopped so that it would take up the whole page- and your mom could be laying down all over it. Hope that helps.

amyARTE250 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.